Monday, January 28, 2013

Anime: Tekkaman Blade (1992)

This particular mecha anime was on US TV back when I was already in college. I had wanted to watch it but never found the time. Knowing that American TV aggressively edited and ultimately cancelled the show gives me a lot of incentive to finish the box set that I now own.

This is all you need to know about this anime: Pretty, cold, brooding, tragic hero fights for good and eventually falls in love. Oh, and the mecha is cool, enough to want to own the Bandai Tamashii Tekkaman Blade with Pegas action figure set! Go get your old school mecha anime on.

*Additional Thoughts* - One of the characters in this series, Levin, reminds me a lot of Yellow Belmont of Mospeada (aka Lancer in Robotech - New Generation). I can't help but wonder, were transgendered characters in anime a trend during the 80's? I haven't watched anime consistently enough to notice if this was/is a common occurrence. Is it still featured in anime today? I'm highly curious about it and would be interested to know stats.

*Update 2-25-13* I really loved this series. Not sure if it's because of the old-school factor or the allure of the tragic hero but I consider Tekkaman among my top 5 favorites. My only minor complaint is the inconsistent animation throughout but otherwise, the story was riveting. 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: