Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Anime: Hanasakeru Seishonen (2009)


New anime on my watch list. This is the summary found on Wikipedia:

Set in the modern era, the story follows the path to romance of fourteen-year-old Kajika Burnsworth, daughter of powerful industrialist Harry Burnsworth, owner of the Burnsworth international conglomerate giant. Kajika agrees to participate in a "marriage game" with her father, in which she must select her future husband out of three men that her father has supposedly preselected for her.

This anime while falling into the shoujo/romance genre, weaves a very complex political plot. As Kajika explores her understanding of love, she discovers her lineage and true destiny. Enjoying it so far, a lot of twists and as riveting as a drama. Kajika is likeable. Her naivete is not annoying (not yet anyway). 39 episodes total and I've completed through episode 14. My favorite part is the backstory of Katherine and Mahati (ep. 10/11). I must confess this one has grown on me with each episode.

And where in the world are there Chinese men like Fang Li-Ren? I haven't met any yet. If you find one, let me know.


I prefer tortured soul playboy Eugene Alexandre de Volkan, droopy eyes and all...


Or kind, noble Rumaty Ivan Di Raginei...



*Update 8-14-10* I was definitely surprised by this one. I normally do not enjoy watching anything that's even remotely political. The conflict was not overbearing nor too complicated. Our female heroine matures into a brave and compassionate young woman. My only complaint is the last episode where a final conflict hung in the air, it was totally unnecessary to include. My favorite character was definitely Eugene. His 80's hair reminds me of Jake and Roy Lang, my favorite twins from classic manga, Cipher...


Overall rating: 5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

irrelevance said...

OH YES, "TOTURED SOUL PLAY BOY EUGENE" WINS; "DROOPY EYES AND ALL."

(P.S. Don't mind me reading your posts.[I feel like a stalker. TT_TT] Your posts are very interesting and you have very similar opinions as I do, so... YEah.)