Friday, March 13, 2009

Thoughts / Review: Antique (Korean 2008)


Clockwise from top left: Joo Ji Hoon, Kim Jae Wook, Choi Ji-Ho, Yoo A-In

I had been anxiously waiting to watch this movie. From the previews I saw, it looked promising. The movie was approximately 2 hours long and paced pretty well. There were some interesting elements such as the layering collage-style filming and the broadway musical scenes with full-on singing and dancing. These were balanced out with more serious scenes as we progressed through the movie.

Kim Jae Wook didn't have much trouble embracing the gay patisserie role. His lanky, femmy looks are perfect. Just picture him as Waffle Sun Ki in Coffee Prince but more gay (i.e. shirtless dancing, more smiling, and kissing men). His kiss scenes with French actor, Andy Gillet were very convincing. Hot!

Joo Ji Hoon as the owner of the cake shop was amusing but I felt there was too much over-acting on his part. Compared to his roles in Goong and The Devil, this one required him to be easily excitable/annoyed and he did a lot of yelling. The constant amped up emotions seemed challenging for him to maintain and I got tired watching him struggle. I think he does best in roles where he's cold/calculating and only slivers of emotion peek through.

The other two supporting characters were pretty good. I enjoyed the interaction of all four men and amazingly, there weren't any specific boring segments of the movie. There was one part which made me wonder how everything was going to end but I was satisfied with the outcome. It wasn't weird or "huh?". Overall, I would rate it 3.5 - 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: