Thursday, October 30, 2008

K-Drama Observation

So I've now watched a few dramas that spans from 2004 - 2007. I noticed that the big onscreen kiss has evolved quite a bit within these last 3 - 4 years.

Full House (2004) had a "closed eyes, hold really still, don't move a muscle kiss." What really gets to me is the fact that it's at the very end, last episode, after the lovers reveal their true feelings for each other. A long and painful journey before we arrive at this point.

Palace/Goong (2006) you had a passionate long kiss complete with head turning and open mouth. It was also a long journey before getting to this stage (thanks to the director/producers dragging the episodes out). But the actual kiss by far was more passionate than the one in Full House.

1st Shop of Coffee Prince (2007), heartfelt open kisses between men (actually between a man and a woman but the man doesn't know that the "man" he's kissing is really a woman). This new awareness and standard speaks volumes in how society's views are changing regarding relationships as well as pushing the envelope in dramas.

I equate this to an essay I wrote for the Junior English Proficiency Test back in college. The topic I chose was the progression of America's view of gay relationships. From the 60's hippy days to the present day 90's (haha, that was a while ago). How the media has prominently featured more gays and it is more commonplace to see openly gay celebrities. I think it's a good thing.

I enjoyed seeing Han Gyul come to terms with his love for Eun Chan regardless if Eun Chan was a man or an alien. My, how far we've come indeed!

No comments: