Monday, March 24, 2008

Obsess Much?


Recently I have dug around for info on Lee Hom Wang, one of Taiwan's very popular male singers. His music is "mandopop." He has also dabbled in other influences and created his own sound he brands "chinked out." I watched one of his music videos introducing this new sound called:

"Heroes of Earth"


Ummmm...I really don't know what to make of it. First impression: "that's a Chinese guy trying to rap." And what happened to that clean scrubbed image of his? He's still clean but adding the hand gestures and head bobbing. Ugh! I suppose it could be worse. He's not wearing chains and those things on his teeth where it looks like he's got a missing tooth and his underwear isn't visibly peeking out of his pants. The other part of me thinks "wow, that's pretty cool that he can create a new sound and he produces, writes and practically a one man machine." And then further along in the video you see the real Chinese guy rapping, Jin (The Emcee). So...I'm not sure what to think. I guess I have to admire him because he has riden the longevity wave in the music industry which is extremely challenging and he's proof that talent prevails.

His acting in Lust, Caution was very convincing. I thought it was much better than when I saw him in Moonchild with Gackt. Gackt can't act to save his life, but I digress. In fact, Lee Hom's sex appeal was so evident, I thought to myself while I was watching the movie, "damn, he's kinda hot."

It's been years since I've listened to Taiwan music regularly. I don't think I will start now because I have mixed views on their pop genre. But Lee Hom is a force to be reckoned with. Overall, I'm impressed.

No comments: