Thursday, October 06, 2016

JDrama: Sumika Sumire (2016)


This one is based on a manga. I believe it's in process of being licensed and I have only read the first few chapters so I watched the drama to understand the story. I can only comment on it from a drama perspective but overall I enjoyed it and thought it was a great adaptation. Approach it as a low-commitment, Cinderella story. This is not a bishie-swoony production, read the manga for that.

Our female protagonist was not annoying or whiney. She is a mature older woman (inside a young woman's body) who is inexperienced in life but learning to find her way. She is naive but not an idiot so it was great to watch her grow through her challenges. I do like body/identity/gender switch stories and this one did not disappoint. I will definitely look into the manga to see how the series ends.

3 out of 5 (for lack of bishies but a good time overall.)

No comments: