Monday, July 19, 2010

KDrama: Bad Guy (2010)


Left to right: Jung So Min, Kim Jae Wook, Han Ga In, Kim Nam Gil, Oh Yun Soo

This is my summer drama. I spent the whole weekend power-watching episodes 1 through 9. Shin Gun Wook (Kim Nam Gil) plots revenge on the Haeshin Group corporation. We follow his dubious exploits with each individual Haeshin family member starting from the younger sister, then the half-brother and now the seduction of the elder sister.

What I like about this drama is the uncertain motives of the male lead. He seems to be on a one-track-minded mission to sabotage the Haeshin family, but even as he is plotting his ultimate plan, he wavers and doubts himself. I feel that he would even forego the whole thing if he had good reason to, but then we would have no drama to watch.

Many reviewers have noted how great Kim Jae Wook's acting is in this drama, practically stealing the show in the role as half-brother, Hong Tae Song. I must say he is surprisingly convincing despite slightly too much shouting and yelling in this spoiled brat role. He definitely has come a long way since Waffle Sun Ki in Coffee Prince.

I am digging this one. Hope the second half doesn't disappoint.

*Updated 8-7-10* The most enjoyable thing about this drama was the crazy mother of the Haeshin Group. Never in all of my drama watching have I seen such a self-centered, heartless, witch. Given Kim Nam-gil's unexpected accelerated call to military duty, this drama was cut short by an episode or two and the last episode was a meh-mess. There were many ways they could have wrapped this one up better. I'm giving it 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: