Monday, August 08, 2005

DVD Factory

My DVD factory is now open for business. I received the DVD burner on Friday and installed it easily into the CPU. The tricky part was to get the CPU back into it's little cubby hole that sits about 12 inches above the floor behind the keyboard tray. With M's gimpy arm it was quite a struggle. I am just really thankful that we installed everything correctly on the first try.

I made a trip to Fry's on Saturday buying two brands of DVD-R media. I successfully burned a CD and a SVCD, performed 3 DVD disk copies, burned 3 DVDs from my existing J-Drama video files, and burned an Anime DVD also from existing video files. I did burn one coaster but I didn't know what I was doing yet.

Nero Express is the bundled software that comes with the writer. Overall I have been very satisfied with the application. Audio CD burns are fast under 5 minutes but DVD burns take about 2 hours. The quality of my DVD burns are pretty good but I noticed some fuzziness around the edges during playback in motion/moving scenes only. It's very minor and not noticeable unless you look for them. I'll keep tinkering and see if I can improve on it.

I finished downloading two more J-Dramas over the weekend. More marathon viewing and archiving ahead.

No comments: